TDoR 2019 / 2019 / May / 04 / Larissa Rodrigues da Silva

Larissa Rodrigues da Silva

Age 21

4 May 2019
São Paulo (Brazil)

TDoR list ref: tgeu/4-May-2019/Larissa Rodrigues da Silva

Larissa Rodrigues da Silva
Larissa Rodrigues da Silva [photo:]

Larissa was beaten with a piece of wood on the corner of Alameda dos Tacaúnas and Avenida Indianópols in the Planalto Paulista neighborhood. Her attacker fled the scene.

In an interview with the G1, the victim's sister Rosana Rodrigues reported that Larissa came to São Paulo four years ago to help the family financially. "I did not think she was going to be killed that way. She did not mess with anyone," she told the portal.

The case happened around 10pm. According to childhood friend Sorela Souza, 25, a man wanted to run a show with Larissa, but he was violent she she rejected his request. Soon afterwards the same man came back with a slat of wood and struck Larissa, who fell instantly. The same man also ran after a colleague of Larissa who was nearby before returning to hit Larissa in the head again, even though she was already unconscious.

Sorela, who came to the capital of São Paulo to take care of procedures for the transfer of Larissa's body as soon as she learned of the murder, remembers her friend with affection. "A very calm girl, who liked to help her family and the people around her. Super good. Always thinking about the next person. Her social networks are full of homage, it shows how loved she was".

A native of Fortaleza and from a poor family, Larissa had been in São Paulo for four years and lived on Avenida 9 de Julho. According to Sorela, she sent money to her mother in Ceará every week.

Larissa's friends complained that the emergency services took an hour and a half to arrive and that during that time the Military Police prevented people from helping the victim. The Emergency Mobile Service (SAMU) was called because, according to Carlos, the victim's cousin, Larissa was still alive and was taken to PS Arthur Ribeiro de Saboya (Hospital Jabaquara), where she died.

Carlos stated that their cousin was "calm, did not use drugs and did not drink and sometimes was even shy".

Larissa's killer surrendered to police on 7th May.

The suspect fled shortly after the crime, but on Monday afternoon he decided to surrender to the authorities, fearing being arrested or recognized on the street as the murder scene was filmed by a CCTV camera. The [trans woman] was beaten. The motive of the murder has not yet been reported.

After the trial began in October 2019 Larissa's mother Rosangela gave an interview to Ponte:

Since Larissa's death, Rosangela's days are no longer the same. No more “good morning” and “good night” messages, no more ten daily phone calls, no more messages when I left, and no messages that I had to come home to. “It's a very painful thing for me. Today, as is the day, it is as if I had a void inside,” she says.

Larissa died on the eve of Mother's Day and did not get a chance to realize a surprise she had planned. “Before May, she told me she wanted to take a trip with me. She said we were going to Natal, and showed me the tickets. Two weeks later she asked me if I would think it bad if we didn't go to Christmas. Then she called Rosana and said that this year she would not spend Mother's Day with us because she was preparing a big surprise. For me, when the coffin arrived, it was a big surprise. Later I learned that she wanted to reunite her family to take to the Basilica of Our Lady Aparecida, that she was devoted, ”says Rosângela.

“I feel that a little of me went along with her, I feel very down, I feel that a little of me is dying. Sometimes I'm just feeling like they're throwing acid at me that burns me from the inside. My life went with her. I have two more children, but it's totally different. I appreciate having them, but she was a person who was… there, all the time,” she continues.

On 10th June 2021 Jonatas Araújo dos Santos was sentenced to 16 years, 9 months and 18 days in prison for Larissa's femicide.

A man has been convicted by a jury of the femicide of the transsexual woman Larissa Rodrigues da Silva, in São Paulo. The crime took place on May 4, 2019, in the Planalto Paulista district of the capital. Larissa was beaten to death - she was on the street acting as a sex worker alongside a friend, who managed to escape from the abuser.

On Thursday (10) Jonatas Araújo dos Santos was sentenced to 16 years, 9 months and 18 days of imprisonment in a closed regime. The court took into account that the murder took place in a manner which made it difficult for the victim to defend herself.

Larissa's Facebook profile is

Report added: 6 May 2019. Last updated: 3 Apr 2024

Trigger warning

This site contains reports of violence against transgender people, and links to detailed reports which contain graphic imagery.

Please continue with caution.


Get me out of here!